Sports team payrolls
Watching Moneyball got me thinking about what other teams, besides the Yankees, have ridiculously high payrolls.
No surprises – the entire top 10 rosters by payroll are either soccer or baseball teams!
1. Barcelona FC, $217m (La Liga)
2. New York Yankees, $198m (MLB)
3. Real Madrid, $195m (La Liga)
4. Manchester City, $185m (EPL)
5. Philadelphia Phillies, $175m (MLB)
6. Boston Red Sox, $173m (MLB)
7. Bayern Munich, $170m (Bundesliga)
8. Chelsea, $170m (EPL)
9. Los Angeles Angels, $154m (MLB)
10. AC Milan, $153m (Serie A, Italy)
Beyond MLB and the top European football teams, the next highest from other sports and leagues are:
- Pittsburgh Steelers, $150m (NFL) (11th overall)
- Boston Celtics, $80m (NBA) (70th overall)
- Buffalo Sabres, $72m (NHL) (82nd overall)
- Gold Coast Suns, $9m (AFL) (218th overall)
- Kolkata Knight Riders, $9m (IPL) (219th overall)
Interestingly, Kolkata ranks 36th when the teams are listed according to players’ average weekly pay. The average Kolkata player receives about $80,000 a week, given that the IPL competition only lasts for around 6 weeks.
For more detail on the ESPN The Magazine/SportingIntelligence Global Salary Survey, click here.